Iron is an essential mineral for good health. Low iron levels can leave you tired, weak, pale-looking, short of breath and irritable. Lentils are a vegetarian-friendly source of dietary iron.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 (16 oz.) bag of brown lentils
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans no-salt diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (32 oz.) cartons low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Optional toppings:
Sour cream, cheddar cheese, croutons, tortilla chips, avocado
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and red bell pepper; saute the vegetables for 8 minutes or until onion is soft and lightly browned.
- Stir in garlic and chili powder; cook for 1 minute.
- Add lentils, tomatoes, bay leaf and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to medium-low and simmer partially covered for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Remove from the heat and discard the bay leaf.
- Transfer 3 cups of cooked chili into a food processor and process until pureed; add the pureed chili back into the remaining chili and stir to combine. Adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- Stir in cilantro and serve.