These marshmallows are made with gelatin, which has so many health benefits. It improves our gut health, makes our skin more supple and glowing (due to its role in the production of collagen) and improves the health of our joints.
- 3 tablespoons gelatin powder (grass fed)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence)
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup stevia powder (alternatively, 2 – 3 tablespoons honey)
- Shredded coconut, for dusting
- Line a small baking tray or glass storage container with parchment paper (it depends what shape you want to create – we use a smaller container to get bigger, taller marshmallows).
- Put the gelatin powder into a stand mixer bowl or food processor (if you have a whipping type attachment) and add half of the water.
- While the gelatin is softening, add the other half cup of water, vanilla bean paste, and salt to a small pan and bring to a boil. If you’re using honey as a sweetener instead of stevia, add the honey to the pan at this step.
- If using stevia, once the mixture is boiling you’re good to go. Start your stand mixer / food processor containing the gelatin and then slowly (and carefully!) add the hot mixture. Add the stevia powder in after the hot mixture. If using honey, once the mixture is boiling, turn the heat down to a simmer for about 8 minutes. Then start your stand mixer / food processor as above and slowly add the hot mixture.
- Whip your marshmallow mixture for a good ten minutes (this is key to getting a nice fluffy texture).
- After ten minutes, the mixture should be fluffy and light like meringue. If not, let it mix for a few more minutes. Pour the marshmallow mixture out into your lined tray or container. It’s best to work quickly and gently with it, as the gelatin will start to set and we don’t want to squash out the air by overworking it. Once it’s looking nice and even, sprinkle on the shredded coconut.
- Leave to rest on the kitchen counter for a couple of hours, until fully set. Then you’re free to carve them up and enjoy! Keep your marshmallows in a container in the cupboard and eat within 2 – 3 days.
Sugar-Free Healing Marshmallows